The Workforce Plus 20Squared project proudly held a graduation for the 2016 participants on Friday 9 December 2016 in the heart of Broadmeadows. It was great opportunity to celebrate the fantastic achievements of the students from both Colac and Broadmeadows with their families, the project team and some very important guests.
Special guest speakers included Cr Drew Jessop, the Mayor of Hume City, Frank McGuire the Local MP for Broadmeadows, Ben McEwing, the Film Director of the proposed 20Squared Work Experience Game! And most importantly the students themselves.
A highlight of the graduation was a student created video – that captured their experiences, including showcasing local employers who provided vocational placement for the students.
All participants were presented with a number of certificates by the Mayor, including:
* Jesuit Social Services Certificate of General Adult Education (Statement of Participation, but many of the students will go on to complete the full certificate)
* Certificate of Completion of the NDS Disability Induction Program
* Workforce Plus Certificate of Appreciation
* Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) Certificate of Participation
* Employer Appreciation Certificates
* Jesuit Social Services Artful Dodger Studio Certificate of Participation
* The Department of Employment’s Empowering Youth Programme is funding the 20Squared project. Empowering Youth is trialing innovative approaches to engage young people in the world of work! This includes our 20Squared project!
20Squared is made possible by a fantastic project team, in particular Paul McCallum and Wendy Mason, the respective job coaches for Colac and Broadmeadows. With the help of the students that have just graduated and a second intake in February 2017 we will produce the 20Squared Work Experience Video Game that will help engage other young people to consider the disability sector as a career pathway!